According to the Fédération Cynologique Internationale (FCI), there are over 340 dog breeds around the world. Since ancient times, dogs have been recognized, even at times, named by the unique talents that they are capable of performing. Some are skilled in herding, some in retrieving, and some dogs excel in hunting. It was also interesting to notice that based on their working ability, different breeds of dogs have different physical structures. For instance, dogs who have a fast running capacity have longer legs and lighter build, whereas those who outshine in sniffing have a compact built body. As time evolved, these characteristics amplified, and the dog breeds that we see today have much developed.
Different jobs need different dogs having distinct strengths and weaknesses. On an outward appearance, although all the pet dogs appear similar, they have varied emotional, physical, and behavioural traits. Hence, it becomes quite a daunting task to choose among them. Based on that, the top ten dogs are listed below.
- French Bulldogs: Characterized by a playful, adaptable and alert nature, French bulldogs are one of the most popular breeds in the world. Their short built and upright “bat ears” make the trademark feature. An adult Frenchie grows up to 27 to 33cm and have a lifespan of around 10-14 years. They have a compact and muscular body. Having the quality of barking less and being more aware, they make good watchdogs. French Bulldogs have a charming personality that makes them adapt well with all types of families and other animals.
- Labrador Retriever: This breed is famous for its friendly, kind, and enthusiastic nature. They have a well-built body with a hard coat that comes with yellow, luscious chocolate of black coloured fur. They fall into the category of gundogs, and they are eager athletes. Labs need regular exercise, swimming, fetching games in order to keep them mentally and physically fit. These are famously known for their compatible personality, and this is the reason they socialize easily with all types of family and other animals.
- German Shepherd: Usually, have a height of almost 26 inches, German Shepherds gifted with smooth and graceful curves instead of sharp angles. They have high speed and outstanding intelligence, and hence, considered as one of the most exceptional all-purpose dogs among all other breeds. The primary reasons for their distinction as front rank of the canine royalty are their noble character, loyalty, confidence, quick learning ability, and their defensive proficiency. Having a life span of 7-10 years, they become gentle pets and capable guardians.
- Rottweiler: This particular breed blessed with both the qualities of being protective and being a loyal companion. Being a direct descendant of the Roman legion mastiffs, Rottweilers are utterly confident and vigorous. Without appropriate training, Rottweilers tend to become overly aggressive. A well-bred Rottweiler will be courageous and will be serene. With a muscular built and high strength, they are filled with playfulness and hence, are loved—early training and proper socialization help to restrain their territorial impulses positively.
- German Shorthaired Pointer: This versatile and enthusiastic gun-dog is known for his agility, speed, and stamina. Their height varies from 23 to 25 inches and has a reddish-brown or white coat with distinct patterns. German Shorthaired Pointers often termed as ‘aristocratic’ or ‘noble’ based on their appearance. Vigorous exercise, such as running and swimming, is a must for them. They have a strong binding affinity with the family and make a lovable pet.
- Dalmatian: With an eye-catching spotted appearance, dalmatians have the most famous coat in the world of the dogs. Originally bred to safeguard horses and coaches, dalmatians have innate protective instincts and make excellent watchdogs. They are endowed with tremendous vitality and hence, make an incredible partner for runners and hikers. They have a sturdy and elegant built that helps them to cover long distances. Their height ranges between 19 to 23 inches, and they make bright, loyal, and lovable house dogs. With powerful hindquarters, their comfortable trotting is worth appreciating. The life expectancy of these coach dogs can vary for up to 13 years.
- Pug: For having a charming and friendly personality, pugs effortlessly become fun-loving and enchanting companions. They have a flat face and bulging eyes with a fluffy and soft coat. For today’s small urban space, pugs seem to a perfect pet dog to opt for because of their quality to adapt even in constricted areas. Pugs can be well trained and obedient. They have a fast metabolism, and hence little food with only essential nutrients should be fed to them. The flat shape of their face often gives rise to various breathing problems, and hence over-heating of over-exercising should be strictly avoided.
- Poodle: Surprisingly, the origin of this breed is not precisely known. Poodles make fantastic companions for their high-spirited, affectionate and happy nature. Unlike pugs, they need ample space for exercises and training, to which they respond pretty well. Besides being agile and obedient, poodles make excellent watchdogs for children. Since they fall in the category of large dogs, similarly, they have large appetites. Although once equipped with hunting and water retrieving qualities, now they are quite friendly and love to be surrounded by family and even strangers.
- Dobermann: Often termed as a ‘one-man dog,’ Dobermanns should be extensively trained by skilled people. They are incredibly protective, and if they are brought up in with other pets and children, they make a happy family pet. Though they enjoy exercises and running, over-exercise leads them to severe joint pains. Dobermanns are loyal and affectionate with an elegant and smooth body that comes in a black, brown, or blue coat with distinct rust markings.
- Pomeranians: With a short built and furry outer-coat, this breed is utterly energetic and joyful. Due to being very vocal, they make excellent watchdogs. They fall into the category of toy dogs, which means that they are adorable and loves to get pampered. There aren’t many exercise requirements for them; little walks around the garden are sufficient to maintain proper health.
If you’re looking for a new Dog collar for under $30, check out our post on the Top Ten on Amazon!